1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

Community Spikeless ADV

Discussion in 'Global Tournaments' started by Deadboots, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Deadboots

Deadboots Resident Lethargarian Host Emeritus

The purpose of this thread is to gauge interest for an ADV tournament utilizing a modified rule set. "Spikeless" in the thread's title is more exemplary of the idea than anything - spikes could still be incorporated, but I'd like to bend the 1U/OU metagame out of shape and explore some new strategies that may or may not be pertinent in 1U/OU.

What are your thoughts? How would you modify ADV's current rule set if you were in charge of tiering?

Ch01W0n5h1n likes this.
  2. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

If you want I can make this a tier on the PP server later tonight

(edit: only read the title and assumed that it was just ADV 1U minus the move Spikes)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  3. Ch01W0n5h1n

Ch01W0n5h1n Member

Spikeless ADV is interesting.
    I actually remember talking about something similar on Discord. The question is: 1 Spike Layer (like in GSC) or no Spike Layers at all.
    Mons like Cacturne would p much become completely irrelevant, but I guess the more important Impact it would have would be on how much Hit and Run Mons would profit from it, and if Teams that have more immunities to spike (either by being mons that like to stay in by nature anyways or by having levitate or the flying type) would become obsolete or not.
    I could see more switches in the metagame and a larger Round Count appear as a consequence.

4. Deadboots

Deadboots Resident Lethargarian Host Emeritus

I don't love the idea of a metagame that eschews switch punishment entirely. 1 layer seems like a good middle ground. I'll talk with DA about whether or not it's possible to implement this on the PP server - apparently it's pretty easy to create new tiers with outright bans on certain moves, but I'm not sure about limiting usage. Another idea I had was backporting some of the important SM changes - namely new paralysis/burn mechanics, as well as 1.5x damage crits.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  5. eden

eden end. Host Emeritus

Question, why is cacturne the first spiker that comes to mind; surely skarm's the most affected. I guess stuff like CB Tar/CB Gross becomes much better, while teams that previously might have been horrible for conceding 3 layers to skarm might be more viable now? Spinning becomes less important, gar becomes a dash worse without having more layers to leverage, aero's hurt a bit as well. cool concept, i might write more, feel free to point out anywhere you disagree.

6. Ch01W0n5h1n

Ch01W0n5h1n Member

Cacturne is the first thing I mentioned because I assumed "no Spikes" was an option, and without Spikes, you wouln´t really have a use for it other than being annoying vs slow mons, because you can´t lay Spikes behind a Sub but just force switches (plus without Spikes, you don´t need to consider Gar as a Spinblocker, thus HP Dark would become way less useful vs Gar). Skarmory would still be somewhat useful, though it´s use would be very limited to a point it just has a small niche (and it would obviously fall a lot harder than Cacturne).

7. eden

eden end. Host Emeritus

sp.def skarm would still be an amazing mon, even if it could lay just one layer, as it indeed frequently does vs mag teams(it'd still be worse than it is now though, because vs non mag teams you can't force extra layers); cacturne'a HP:dark is not catching gengar except in desperate situations, not sure why you mentioned spinblocking there. cacturne can do more than lay spikes; it can abuse one layer being down just fine, with sub seed+2 attacks

8. Cowboy Dan

Cowboy Dan Host Emeritus

The mon that would be affected the most is probably magneton. That thing would probably drop off the map entirely. I see a 1 spike meta most likely being dominated by boom heavy bulky offense. They're great at busting through teams without spikes support and they would really appreciate not having to worry about getting 3 layers set up against them.

Disaster Area likes this.
  9. autumn leaves

autumn leaves Member

I wouldn't play this but 2 spikes is probably better than 1 for the metagame. it's barely stronger, to the point where currently it's usually not the best idea to go for it if you're not sure of getting the 3rd layer. offensive teams don't really care if you get 1 or 2 spikes down. something to think about

Disaster Area and eden like this.