1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

RBY My first #1

Discussion in 'Public Teams' started by Captain obliviius, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Captain obliviius

Captain obliviius Who is in charge here? Member

After 8-9 months of playing, and flirting with the top spot for about 2 months, I finally topped the ladder. This team pushed me over the "cant get over 1600" hump. I haven't seen a team like this yet so thought I'd share and hope for some insight from the rby veterans.

Alakazam (xam)
    - psychic
    - t wave
    - seismic toss
    - recover

Scares off gengar lead into eggy or Chans. Read and go jynx.
    Para jynx lead or toss if you want to avoid those first turn Chansey switchers. (pests) Take the sleep.

Jynx (glass assassin)

- blizzard
    - psychic
    - lovely kiss
    - seismic toss/ counter

Never expected non lead jynx to destroy so much. Blizzard pressures those sleeping zams. And hilariously ohko's tauros on a crit. toss allows you to switch out Chans on parad jynx going for that cursed early game freeze. This puts oppenent into a place of let jynx die from toss or switch and take a sleep. This play usually gives up a zam to sleep but gains kill on lead jynx/ force a rest then sleep something else. One hit those goldon. One hit dnite. Clean up eggy and parad zapdos. Outspeed victreebel and cloyster trappers. Jynx just covers so many situations that come up. Go for counter over toss if you want I've used them both successfully. What else... oh yea jynx baits booms and twaves so good. Opponents get all frisky mid game and want the witch to die because if unparalyzed she is golden late game. Get that Chansey para you want for ice war dominance or bait out that desperate boom on your sleeping zam or war weary snorlax. DO NOT let her get parad to gain a sleep. Her role is too important. A lot of times I keep her hidden until late.

Exeggutor (baby Groot)
    - sleep powder
    - psychic
    - double edge
    - explosion

Switch in on zam ditto and get that sleep. Double edge to show opponent they can't try for wake. Boom on something useful. Wall rocks. I know its not the best way to use eggy but for this team its necessary.

Chansey (Mrs. Dumpty)
    - ice beam
    - seismic toss
    - t wave
    - soft boil

Switch in after jynx sleeps zam. Toss kills it much faster than tbolt. Much less likely to get frozen. Toss still can pressures star after dropping bolt without losing the ability to pressure zam. Ice beam to go for freezes. This is the most versatile Chans IMO.

Snorlax (Chillax)
    - body slam
    - reflect
    - ice beam
    - rest

Reflect lax seems to be a favorite among veteran players. Instead of dittoing and praying for crit body slam, start going for a freeze. Sometimes you will snag one. Also avoids counter chansey if left unparalyzed. Lapras and cloy is best counter for this. If lapras start body slamming and fish for a para then rest and come back later. Same for cloy but if you are clamped fall back to jynx.
    As mentioned before.

Tauros (sauce)
    - body slam
    - EQ
    - blizz
    - hyper beam

The bull. Named for my favorite condiment. Buffalo sauce. I put that shit on everything..

In conclusion. Non lead jynx surprised the heck out of me. This team wrecks wrap/clamp teams. Comparable to zam+lapras+big 4 team but utilizes jynx's speed, Lack of weakness to razor leaf, Neutral to tbolt and more accurate sleep move. Always nice to get an early sleep with eggy then sleep another mon late game. Zam+big 4+lapras is in my opinion the best lineup in Rby ou. But if you suspect your opponent to run cloy,dnite, or vic slap jynx in lapras' place. At the time this team topped the ladder I was seeing trap teams everywhere. They come and go in spurts.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    marcoasd likes this.
  2. marcoasd

marcoasd P.I.P. PLAY IN PEACE Host Emeritus

Jynx as 6th is under-explored and I think switching into Hyper Beams (bar Snorlax's Hyper Beam) in order to use Counter to be good stuff.
    (Counter) Jynx is a cool follow up for an opponent's Explosion: opponents will get used to the trick, but they are going to be forced to mindgames anyway in some scenarios.

This team can't touch Slowbro: Exeggutor can't Stun it, Chansey can't crit TBolt, Snorlax can't blow up, Jynx and even Alakazam won't do. It could literally single-handedly beat you.

I think I can say I popularized Reflect + Ice Beam Snorlax in the early stages of paraslam tragedy, and I noticed it has glaring upsides and downsides. Eventually, Hyper Beam Snorlax enstablished itself as the most common set for its versatility again, and it's easier for it to sweep non-normal-types due to being immune to Body Slam's paralysis.

I'm not a big fan of Ice Beam+SToss either, to be honest. What I like more about that combination, is that GolDon can't switch in for free when you're going for your secondary damaging move.
    You have Snorlax and Tauros (and Jynx, and DE Exeggutor), sleeping Alakazam is haunting you.

Summing up: some kind of Selfdestruct Snorlax, TBolt>SToss Chansey and this team becomes tournament material.

3. TuffHunter

TuffHunter Member

Congrats man. Always scary to switch to Eggs and have my opponent switch to Jynx.

The ice beam reflect lax is also nice for ditto matches.

Also I am a fan of icebeam/stoss chansey. Its better vs zam/slobro and after wasting all 16 po of icebeam trying to get a freeze it is better than solo thunderbolt overall.

Lapras can annoy the heck out of you but its not the end of the world.

4. marcoasd

You're not beating Slowbro with Seismic Toss, while CH Thunderbolt takes Slowbro out most of the time (basically, if Slowbro is not at full health).
    Paralysis stat drops stacking glitch worsened that matchup, but Thunderbolt is way better anyway.

Disaster Area likes this.
  5. TuffHunter

TuffHunter Member

Chansey has a what... 5% chance to crit? Rather do guaranteed damage every turn vs slobro. Although sing is usually a must to be close to a consinstent counter.

6. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

about 11% chance

7. marcoasd

Seismic Toss has almost 0% chance to beat Slowbro without support from Snorlax (might as well promptly switch to it) or Tauros (risky) - that's the same as Alakazam (and they might stack up on a team too, just like in your case).
    TBolt shines when you can let Slowbro set up on Chansey (trying to score a critical hit), then you go Exeggutor and force Slowbro out (possibly Exploding on some kind of decent target).

Chansey is widely considered to be way better than Alakazam at beating Slowbro: it can win one on one, and chances of scoring a critical hit through multiple turns eventually matter (even though it's admittedly better to find ways around, going for them might eventually be your best play).

*CH rate is 50/512= 9.8%

Disaster Area likes this.
  8. Captain obliviius

Captain obliviius Who is in charge here? Member

Letting bro set up on chansey then going to eggy is something I've never tried but that's a great play. Thank you.
    I've always been discouraged from chansey tbolt spamming because of the low crit rate. Toss allowed me to para then start chipping it. My usual play was to force rest toss twice then switch and boom. If I didn't have starmie or an electric i would just switch and blow up. chansey spamming uses luck but has a fall back play which I like very much. And if it works I get to save my boom. Good stuff