1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

RBY OU / 1U (OverUsed) Marcoasd's RBY OU 2014 Team

Discussion in 'Public Teams' started by marcoasd, Jun 11, 2014.

1. marcoasd

marcoasd P.I.P. PLAY IN PEACE Host Emeritus

This is the team I've been pretty successful with this year:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

I like to sleep something before spreading paralysis, so my main choice is Gengar.
    Gar has a slight advantage vs Jynx, the first thing I want to stop. It counters Persian, Cloyster, Kingler, Slowbro, Dnite, Victrebeel, and maybe I’m forgetting something.
    Gengar can do little in combat, but it’s a great utility, and will save me from a lot of bad surprises.

[​IMG]

Gengar:
    Hypnosis, Night Shade, Thunderbolt, Explosion

I used to think “Mega Drain and NShade don’t help enough”, but now I use Night Shade over Psychic.

Alternative leads: The original lead was Jynx, and I think Starmie to be arguabily the best lead of the game.

[​IMG]

Exeggutor:
    Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Psychic, Explosion

Another utility. Backup sleeper that can deal with physical attacks and Psychics, and then explode. Good vs Slowbro, it’s a good way to counter my opponent’s Egg, helps vs Zam. In this team I want Stun Spore.

[​IMG]

Lapras:
    Blizzard, Thunderbolt, Body Slam, Confuse Ray

Standard moveset, very good vs physicals and well placed into the metagame. At the beginning it had Rest over Thunderbolt, but TBolt is very good.
    Other variant is the one with Sing and Hyper Beam (and BlizzBolt) to surprise Chansey.

[​IMG]

Snorlax:
    Body Slam, Hyper Beam, Earthquake, Selfdestruct

PhysLax. Earthquake is needed vs counter Chansey and Gengar. HB is good, even if risky sometimes.
    Other moves I like are Counter and Blizzard, mostly over HB.
    The thing I like the most of Snorlax>rocks, is that it has a positive MU vs Starmie.

[​IMG]

Tauros:
    Body Slam, Earthquake, Hyper Beam, Blizzard

Nothing to say.

[​IMG]

Chansey:
    Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Softboiled

Only twaver on the team, and the team can switch into physical attacks.
    If I want to use Counter, maybe I’d drop Thunderbolt.
    Chansey is in for the rare trait to counter Zam, Lapras and Starmie, bar that 10% freeze. Zam is the only contender, but Chansey can freeze, and it’s better vs electrics.

Achievements:
    -Main team used in order to win Master Tournament 7 and 8 (becoming Season 3 champion)
    -Main team used in order to finish 6-1 in 2014 POWC, I think it ended up 5-0
    -Consistently on top of both Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown ladders.

Conclusion:
    It's very difficult to counter everything with just 6 pokemon, and I lack the rock type in this team. I could drop Snorlax to end up with the same 5 or even 6 used by Lutra, but I'm happy with Snorlax.

Import:
    Gengar
    - Hypnosis
    - Thunderbolt
    - Night Shade
    - Explosion

Chansey
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Thunder Wave
    - Soft-Boiled

Snorlax
    - Body Slam
    - Earthquake
    - Hyper Beam
    - Self-Destruct

Exeggutor
    - Sleep Powder
    - Stun Spore
    - Psychic
    - Explosion

Tauros
    - Body Slam
    - Earthquake
    - Hyper Beam
    - Blizzard

Lapras
    - Blizzard
    - Thunderbolt
    - Body Slam
    - Confuse Ray

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    raimon and Disaster Area like this.
  2. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

I know this is a bit of a necrobump.. but that's why it's interesting. I think that your style has changed a lot in this 2 year period... this team strikes me as the very best sort of team however for the old mechanics and really much less suited to the new mechanical discoveries. That sound about right to you? The team is still usable but it has nowhere near the dominant force that it was (well Lapras in general...)

3. marcoasd

I used to like Gengar a lot more, and I think it was because I could win games by just letting my Chansey paralyzed.
    I rarely had troubles with Gengar switching into Exeggutor because my opponents weren't predicting with Stun Spore or Psychic.
    Starmie is a better partner for Gengar, as it switches into Exeggutor way better than Lapras, and it has access to TWave that is nowdays useful against all of the 3 normals.
    I would've used Exeggutor for that role, saving Gengar as the sleeper (coming in vs Chansey).

It's possible that Gengar lost appeal after discoveries (it definitely lost appeal to me, and maybe it was going to happen anyway).
    Lapras is still good, maybe just not "good old days" good.

Disaster Area likes this.
  4. Captain obliviius

Captain obliviius Who is in charge here? Member

What year were the new mechanics discovered? And I'm guessing it refers to no body slam para on normals?

5. marcoasd

Body Slam tragedy happened around the last days of 2014. Body Slam could paralyze normals at that time (MT 7,8 / Season 3).

6. Captain obliviius

Crazy how old the game was when that discovery was made. I was under the impression that it was much earlier. Think of the game if t wave didn't work on electrics. o_O

7. Golden Gyarados

Golden Gyarados Host Emeritus

You're making me feel old :p

8. Captain obliviius

I'm 26 bro lol. Bout time for me to hang it up

9. sulcata

sulcata sulcata#9465 Member

even stranger is that the "discovery" is plainly mentioned in stadium as an intended mechanic in one of the trainer tips or something.

someone posted a screencap in the original discovery thread, but i think it expired : (

Disaster Area likes this.
  10. marcoasd

[​IMG]

11. P5726

P5726 Member

What about non-status effects say bubblebeam on Starmie? Or the main one psychic drop in special against another psychic? I guess you can add to the list confusion's confusion effect on psychics which is confusing!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Captain obliviius likes this.