1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

RBY OU / 1U (OverUsed) Hitmonlee

Discussion in 'Individual Analyses' started by Lusch, May 18, 2018.

1. Lusch

Lusch A critical hit! Member

Hitmonlee [​IMG]
    Type: Fighting
    Stats: HP 303 (50 Base) | Atk 338 (120)| Def 204 (53) | Spe 272 (87) | Spec 168 (35)

Introduction

Hitmonlee's stats are horrible on the defensive side. Its Attack is high ans Speed is okay, if it had gotten the jump on Jynx it would even be actually good and almost all it needed.

Hitmonlee is a classical glass cannon. It is so frail that basically every Pokemon in the tier (except Chansey) is able to 2HKO Hitmonlee. Defensively its Fighting typing is a curse since Psychic type attacks are very common in RBY 1U and in combination with its poor bulk it cannot even take the weakest super effective STAB Psychic you'll see in the 1U tier, Slowbro's Psychic (technically it can survive 10% of the time...). Offensively its is not exactly a blessing either but in combination with the fact that Hitmonlee is the only Fighting type Pokemon with access to a somewhat reliable Fighting type STAB attack in High Jump Kick, it is thanks to the Fighting typing that Hitmonlee does have at least some right to exist in the 1U tier. That is because of the fact, that Normal types, the Pokemon Hitmonlee tries to exploit offensively, are at least as common as Psychic types, that Hitmonlee fails to do anything against. Since the "big4" of RBY 1U consist of 3 Normal types and out of the 3 most common filler Pokemon, Zapdos, Rhydon and Lapras, 2 are weak to Fighting, Hitmonlee can become a dangerous threat late in the game given the proper filler and if the opposing Psychic types like Alakazam/Starmie and Exeggutor are crippled by paralysis, low on health or already knocked out.

Sets

Standard

Hitmonlee
    -High Jump Kick
    -Meditate
    -Mega Kick
    -Substitute / Counter / Rolling Kick / Body Slam

Set Details

This set is best used when brought in on a predicted Chansey switch from the opponent or on a predicted Soft-Boiled. High Jump Kick is the reason to use Hitmonlee, on a standard team at least 3 Pokemon are weak to it, so once Hitmonlee managed to get in safely, switching into HJK can be difficult depending on what the opponent has left. It 2HKOs Tauros, Chansey, Snorlax, Lapras and Golem. Unfortunally Rhydon has a good chance to survive two High Jump Kicks and 2HKOs back with Earthquake.
    Meditate is there to raise Hitmonlee's attack even further if it get the opportunity. Given the right circumstances (faster Pokemon paralyzed, some resists chipped enough etc.) Meditate can even help to set up a sweep.
    In the third slot Mega Kick should be used. It is inaccurate, but hits very hard, 2HKOing Alakazam and at +1 even Starmie. Those are the most common Fighting resists on typical teams, so being able to 2HKO them makes Mega Kick worth it over the reliable but weaker Body Slam.
    In the last slot Substitute is an option to fish for some full paralysis. Counter is an option to use after an opposing Explosion when Hitmonlee is forcing out something weak to HJK (for example Chansey, or when Hitmonlee switched in on a predicted Hyper Beam from Snorlax or Tauros. Rolling Kick has a 30% chance to flinch, which can be worth going for, since most targets Hitmonlee faces should be slower when Hitmonlee enters the field. Lastly, Body Slam could potentially catch a Psychic type switch in for paralysis if there is no sweeping potential with Hitmonlee yet.

Other Options

There is not really anything else... Mimic could get you Sleep Powder on an Exeggutor switch in which could be funny and Seismic Toss lets you at least damage Gengar, and is generally the most consistent damage source vs the likes of Exeggutor or Slowbro.

Checks and Counters

Gengar is a full stop to Hitmonlee, since it is immune to everything Hitmonlee can use against it except for Seismic Toss.

Every Psychic type in 1U OHKOs Hitmonlee, while Hitmonlee is either outsped or cannot do much damage back to them in return. Starmie, Slowbro and Exeggutor get a special mention here, since Alakazam and Jynx have to watch out if they are paralyzed because Hitmonlee is able to 2HKO them with Mega Kick and High Jump Kick respectively.

The legendary Birds resist Fighting and 2HKO with their STAB attacks (Blizzard, Fire Blast and Thunder can even OHKO).

Paralyzing Hitmonlee takes away almost all of its potential since it relies an its speed to get the first hit on a lot of its targets.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  2. marcoasd

marcoasd P.I.P. PLAY IN PEACE Host Emeritus

Hitmonlee's set is tricky, I didn't try Substitute but I can imagine it needs a lot of setup to work.

I've been using Rolling Kick for the flinch effect, but it was disappointing and Mega Kick pairs better with Meditate; Mega Kick looks specific for Alakazam and Starmie (Seismic Toss is better vs Exeggutor, dishing out a similar damage with 100% accuracy and it hits the likes of a sleeping Gengar too), but Meditate could make it a bit better enabling a 2HKO even on Starmie.

High Jump Kick/Meditate/Mega Kick/Substitute looks ok and synergic, especially considering that Hitmonlee is awful at hit and running and Body Slamming an unstatused Zapdos or Starmie looks like a losing proposition anyway.
    If anything, Counter is a good option to have when Hitmonlee is forcing Chansey out after an Explosion or something.

3. Lusch

Lusch A critical hit! Member

Thanks for the comment.
    I basically assumed Meditate to be standard (if you wanted to imply a proposed change of the slashes, please do so more explicitly though :D).
    What you said is what I tried to reflect in the set details.
    But I'll add the comments on Seismic Toss' usage outside of hitting Gengar and probably the biggest thing I overlooked in the analysis, which is the Counter thingy after an Explosion while forcing out Chansey.

4. marcoasd

marcoasd P.I.P. PLAY IN PEACE Host Emeritus

I was just sharing my (little) experience with Hitmonlee, and I think you ended up with a more serious moveset than the Rolling Kick + Body Slam variants.
    Actually yes, I think Counter should be considered more seriously than an OO.

5. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

Some aesthetic stuff:

I don't like that u include both the stat value and the base in the Pokemon's stats but it's not something you have to change. What you should do, however, is put Speed last... when we list Pokemon's stats, we always put speed last, just go with the convention.

Underline the bolded titles, as well as Set Details.

When giving the moveset, put the name of the Pokemon there as well e.g.
    Hitmonlee
    - Move 1
    - Move 2
    etc.

that way, people can just copy and paste and import the set.

Always use the double line break, that is:

Line 1

Line 2

rather than

Line 1
    Line 2

Not as important, but please put spaces between the slashed moves

---

with the slashing of the moves, you should remove Mega Kick from the slashing in the 4th slot. You should also explain that running Mega Kick and Body Slam together is a viable option for x reasons.

If you run both Substitute and Meditate, how do you decide which is a better use of a free turn depending on the situation?

Surely Mega Kick is far better than Body Slam and maybe Body Slam shouldn't even be slashed - isn't getting the 2HKO on paralyzed alakazam pretty useful?

Can Body Slam 2HKO Jynx?

Why does being slower than Jynx hurt its viability that much? Jynx is not incredibly common in the metagame these days and is not hard to paralyze in practice either.

It would also be really good to comment on what setup it needs to be able to effectively sweep. Maybe talk about how it hit and runs vs how it sweeps.

Last edited: May 19, 2018