1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

Community Financial Reward for Analyses?

Discussion in 'Individual Analyses' started by Disaster Area, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

EDIT: see post #16 for what I am currently willing to pay people for analysis and article writing, GPing, and tutoring.

Someone suggested to me the idea of giving money to people for writing analyses. For now, at least, given the size of PP, it isn't generating the revenue to be doing that. However, I could probably pay something, at least for now.

So my question is, is it a good idea, and if it is, what should be how much is paid out? I was thinking that there should be quite a high bar, say like 20 high quality plus fairly relevant analyses, but in return for doing that large chunk quite a bit is paid out (say £20? £30?).

One argument in favour is that this could lead to more contribution to the analyses on PP, and the quality of the analyses on the site. On the other hand, does it look bad for us if people say something like "we can only get people to contribute to the site by paying them".

What do people think?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  2. CrapAtRBY

CrapAtRBY Member

How about giving an award and voucher out each year for community contribution, including but not limited to analyses, that way it incentivises people to help out but doesn't have the stigma.

Disaster Area likes this.
  3. The Idiot Ninja

The Idiot Ninja Member

Bad idea. Not worth at all. Writing resources is not that difficult; if there's no people to write them, chances are there's also no people who would use them.

Chrysalis likes this.
  4. Disaster Area

Something like that could be good. Contributing articles and GP checks are noteworthy too. What about tutoring too?

5. Chrysalis

Chrysalis scorpion Host Emeritus

The issue with minimal financial rewards like this is that if there's no one who would do that stuff without them, no one's going to do it even if you pay them €20. On the other hand, to experienced contributors it wouldn't really matter at all. There would be no competition over that reward (and if there were, it would be a bad thing because contributors would ultimately value quantity over quality) and overall, I don't see how it would give anyone an incentive. Your perceived loss would be way greater than the perceived gain of anyone and it wouldn't do the slightest thing for PP as a community.

6. Disaster Area

this literally makes no sense. Plenty of people want to learn gsc, adv, hgss, and people have wanted to learn RBY and appreciated the RBY resources. The people who write analyses and the people who read analyses are totally different groups of people. How is this even an argument?

7. Disaster Area

This is literally false because autumn leaves would do it with the incentive.

8. Chrysalis

Chrysalis scorpion Host Emeritus

Oh, didn't think that it would actually incentivize anyone. If I had to hard-focus for a two-digit number of hours for the prospect of earning money, I'd rather swingtrade cryptocurrencies and gain 100 times that amount.
    Also no offense but I think you should just take a step back from this discussion for half an hour, you're replying to everyone within 1 minute excessively using the word "literally" :p

e: I'm not vehemently opposed to anything. Please read my posts again.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  9. The Idiot Ninja

The Idiot Ninja Member

RBY analyses already exist and they're in good shape. As for every other tier, the new 1Us are new tiers so no, the people who write analyses and the people who would use them overlap quite a lot there. At best you can find uses for 1U-L analyses, in which case, go ahead I suppose, but it seems incredibly difficult to regulate anyway.

10. autumn leaves

autumn leaves Member

congrats. you would. not everyone might.

this is something we already do for fun and the prospect of making a bit of money out of it at the same time at no one's expense since people are actually willing to pay us for helping out is nothing but good. it would motivate even better work. not everyone is so well off that they're like "20 dollars? get away from me with that chump change." I cannot believe people are actually vehemently opposed to this.

eden and Disaster Area like this.
  11. CALLOUS

CALLOUS YouTube.com/CALLOUSnarrates Leader

If you’re paying me I’ll write all the ADV analysises you’d like.

12. ThrashNinjax

ThrashNinjax Lets take to the Skies Host Emeritus

I think this is a good idea, ngl. People (mostly Dan but Sunny and I have chipped in) have already put up some decent ADV analyses but yeah help is always appreciated (esp because we're all busy college students who aren't always going to be able to find the time to write this stuff). Incentivising people to write analyses is definitely a good thing, though, and it's an investment in the site itself - better analyses and resources will bring aspiring oldgenners here rather than smogon, and the site will grow. So yeah, I don't see that many negatives in it (and the ones I do aren't enough to convince me that this is not a good idea). Bonus points if you compensate analysis writers for those analyses tha have already been completed (not necessary, we wrote them without any expectation of getting anything back from them but yeah it would be nice), also giving payouts to contributers / GP checkers would be nice as well but yeah, this should definitely be a thing.

Disaster Area likes this.
  13. Ortheore

Ortheore Host Emeritus

I think the core idea of paying people to create content is perfectly reasonable. In an ideal world, this is exactly what we'd do. I know small amounts of money aren't that big of a deal for some people, but for others it can really motivate so if it's possible, why not do it?

That said, if there's payment for each piece of content it should absolutely not come from our own pockets. I don't mind putting up prize money for a tournament because I know that it's rare for me to do so, and I control the amount that gets put up- you could have a dozen players or a hundred, at the end of the day I decide the size of the prize pool. If we pay per analysis with our own money, that kinda goes out the window since people could theoretically write large numbers of analyses, and then I'd feel obliged to pay significant amounts of money. Of course, it's a different matter if it's site-generated revenue, but apparently that's not viable which is fair enough. That said, this all my perspective on the issue, if someone else feels differently about this and wants to chip in, feel free lol.

I do like the idea of some kind of regular award for contributing analyses though, as I think it's a great compromise between offering rewards and doing so sustainably. The one question I have is whether it'd actually be effective- if say, two people write a lot of analyses but only one person gets the reward, that's kinda demotivating for the loser, and that's a scenario that can be thought of in advance- if I'm only doing it for the reward, but it's not even certain I get one, will I still contribute? I think it might be better if we establish some kind of threshold for a reward where a certain amount of analyses qualifies for a reward- "I see you've written X analyses in the past Y months, here's your reward of $Z".

tldr I'm all for it, provided it's done in a way that is sustainable for whoever's paying

Hofuku and Disaster Area like this.
  14. Cowboy Dan

Cowboy Dan Host Emeritus

As someone who's written a fair amount of analyses for this site, I should say writing the initial analysis is something I enjoy doing and don't feel any need to be paid for it. Consistently updating and following through on grammar checks though, less so, especially considering the notification issues this site has. Having some sort of compensation for that would be really cool. I think you'd have to be organized about it though, you can't just say "if you write an analysis you get x amount of money!" because that's pretty abusable especially if this is out of pocket money. One solution is to "hire" so to speak a specific group of people that will be in charge of analysis writing and paying them a specified amount. They can be in charge of writing analyses and ensuring that they're updated. This would probably also ensure higher quality analyses.

Hofuku likes this.
  15. SaDiSTiCNarwhal

SaDiSTiCNarwhal Always tired Member

You would be rewarding someone who had no idea they would be receiving some sort of compensation, and did the analysis because they wanted to. To pay analysis writers, would #1 be a waste of your own money, and #2 if there have been so many analyses done without reward, why start now?

16. Disaster Area

I think I want to trial a system and see how it works out. There's 4 things we want to incentivise really, that we're not currently:
    - Analyses
    - Articles
    - Tutoring
    - GPing

So I'm going to out of my own pocket incentivise these things, at least for now.

I'll pay £20 for 25 written pieces (long articles count for two). They must all be high quality and reasonably relevant (U tiers, 1P tiers, 1U-L tiers, any popular OMs on the forum). For those of you in the US, this works out to roughly a dollar per analysis.

For tutoring, a year of high quality tutoring - 3 or more tutees in a year who think the tutoring is excellent - I'll give £10 for that.

For GPing, if you GP 20 written pieces, I'll pay £10. It's quicker but more tedious than writing, but it does need to be incentivised, as is clear from the fact that hardly anyone does any.

17. FriendOfMrGolem120

FriendOfMrGolem120 aka. "FOMG" Moderator

Even though I appreciate your commitment to this site very much (and the fact that you are willing to pay users for contributing to pokemon perfect with your own money), Disaster Area, I am not sure if this is a step in the right direction.
    I think that handing out personal money to get people to contribute is a quite dubious long term solution. And if you don't want to use your own money anymore eventually, where should it come from? I like pokemon perfect's plain design, there are no advertisements and I would like to see it staying that way in the future.
    In the end it is your money and you are free to do with it whatever you want - I just don't see the need to use it like this.

sulcata and SaDiSTiCNarwhal like this.
  18. Disaster Area

It's probably not a long term thing unless the site starts generating revenue somehow, but I have the money to be able to do this and I would love new analyses on the site. The thing also with analyses is it's pretty much, once they're done they're more or less done. Metas evolve and so on so they're not perfectly timeless, but I mean there's no good gsc or adv analyses besides the ones on this site right now anyway. Would be nice even if it's short-term.