1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

ADV OU (OverUsed) How to use Trappers

Discussion in 'Analysis and Research' started by Disaster Area, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm interested in hearing what other players have to say on this more than to post my own thoughts: how do you use trappers effectively in ADV 1U? From a teambuilding perspective I have pretty much got a crystal clear understanding of how to build with them and so on, but in practice, how do you trap something effectively?

Let's talk a bit about Magneton for example. You generally use it on teams that want Skarmory (and Forretress) removed. Is it best to just hard switch Magneton in as soon as you see it? I guess it depends on the team: some teams are happier than others to give Skarmory a turn or two, and others want Skarm gone at all costs. The only real way it can go wrong in practice is if Magneton is caught by a Dugtrio. So I guess I want to know is how conservative should you be with Magneton: because to me the risks seem fairly low, am I right in thinking that versus Skarmory you should pretty much always switch Magneton in as soon as you see it?

How much is the element of surprise important? For example, say you have a Magneton in the back and there's a Forretress on the opponent's side. Magneton needs a bit of chip damage to guarantee the OHKO on Forretress, and Forretress has Earthquake which can do heavy damage if not OHKO Magneton. Does anyone have any tips on how to hide Magneton effectively in that sort of matchup, or any tips for the Forretress player to successfully take out the Magneton?

I'm not sure this is the most clear topic or easiest thing to really talk about: it's hard to talk in generalities about these things and easier to discuss specific examples, but I guess I want to know what's the sort of standard etiquette in battle with regards to trapping.

Cowboy Dan likes this.
  2. Enigami

Enigami Moderator

There's more than just ability trappers though, for ADV 1U viable stuff there's also:

Block
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Mean Look
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Trap Pass (Mean Look + Baton Pass)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

STAB Pursuit
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Pursuit Tyranitar at least should be covered, considering they aren't uncommon.

deluks917 and Cowboy Dan like this.
  3. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

Well it's more of a discussion. I was most interested in how to use Magneton / Dugtrio but if people want to chime in on how to use other trappers effectively I'll enjoy reading that too.

4. Cowboy Dan

Cowboy Dan Host Emeritus

It really depends with magneton, a lot of the time it can be best to just go straight for the throat, but you can risk the dug double switch. At the same time though if you don't, you risk skarm getting 3 layers of spikes up which is bad. Sometimes you want to double in to mag on a predicted switch, and of course if you can get the coveted BP to trapper play to happen you're in the money. It really depends on your team (ie if you can handle skarm getting layers up for example if you have a back up spinner), as well as what you can gather of their team and their play style which can be difficult considering with magneton the trap generally happens pretty early on in the match. There's no real best answer to this, you just have to go with your gut.

Dugtrio requires a bit more finesse because unlike magneton most of the things it wants to trap have the ability to ohko it. While dugtrio is often considered a revenge killer, to really make the most of it you want to be abusing double switches so that it can do its job without having to sacrifice your own pokemon. Again Baton Pass can help with this. Getting Dugtrio in at the right moment on a counter to one of your dangerous pokemon can turn the tides of a battle in a huge way. That being said, the ability to turn your opponent's KOs in to trades is also a pretty nice benefit of Dugtrio.

eden's embrace and Disaster Area like this.
  5. eden's embrace

eden's embrace end. Host Emeritus

I got floored in tour by someone running Magneton w EVs for Forry EQ once; needs some absurd investment, but basically means you 100% remove forry from the equation;

Some other stuff worth noting maybe, is that Magnet Magneton is worth considering if your team cannot handle Spikes at all;

I'll edit more in later.

Cowboy Dan likes this.
  6. wyc2333

wyc2333 Member

i'm not satisfied with my p2 teams. if i run p2 on cm spam teams, it will let lax set curse freely. tar/hera/gross/lax/p2/cune seems great, but it needs hard prediction, and i usually get mediocre reward.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019